Where Research is a Delight!
The Asheville newspaper reported in mid-September that Miss Evelyn Grove had left the city for St. Louis to visit with family and friends.When the Asheville Daily Gazette published a telegram they had received of Evelyn Grove’s marriage to Fred Seely, it came as a “surprise to all of their friends.”
The Seely’s moved to Asheville in 1912 where Seely soon set about planning the design of the Grove Park Inn and managed its construction for his father-in-law. Seely took over operation of the inn in 1914 but around 1921 problems arose between Grove and Seely. Grove re-wrote his will in 1921, “and in doing so nullified an earlier agreement he had made with Seely.” [“The Man Who Built, Loved, and Lost the Grove Park Inn” by Bruce Johnson, 1991.]
Bruce Johnson has been researching and writing about the Grove Park Inn since first coming to Asheville in 1986. In 1988 he founded the National Arts and Crafts Conference at the Grove Park Inn and continues to direct that today. He has written several books on the American Arts and Crafts movement, as well as on the Grove Park Inn, including Built For the Ages: A History of the Grove Park Inn and Tales of the Grove Park Inn.
Post by Zoe Rhine Librarian